Tuesday 26 April 2016

John Mason, Principal, St James', kolkata


Our fondest memories are with those with whom we have experienced life changing moments. Sadly it seems that such intense and treasured memories lie in the deep recess of our minds, giving pleasure to self, from time to time. It is time now to acknowledge these special folks in my life, to share with others, and to honour.


John Mason is one such treasured person in my life. He was the principal of St James’ School during the period 1980-1982. St James’ school was everything one hoped for, and John Mason, the perfect quintessential Principal.

I met him during the admission time, and he was cautious about my grades in Hindi. I was adamant that I would do well in the board exam. He leant forward and said, ’Tell you what, come see me, when your results are out”. That ended the debate. Months later I went back. He admitted me on the spot.

Mason encouraged all of us to participate in extra curricular activities. One day he strolled into our classroom and his eyes settled on me as he invited me to take part in the debate competition. I protested, saying I could never debate. “How would you know you cannot”, he countered, “unless you tried. I want to see you on the podium next week, young man” he said as he walked out. The next week I went up on the podium, my first time, and over the years many such events followed. But it was just sheer nectar, that first moment when he walked up to me after the debate, and shook my hand, my face all flushed and red with excitement.

Then there was that moment pre selection ahead of the final exams when he walked into our class, and started to address each student, exhorting each one to give their best performance. When my turn came, he looked at my academic progress scores, which was quite good, but his eye picked the lowest subject (no guesses, it was Hindi again).  “So what do you have to say about this”, he challenged me. I will do well, I replied, but weakly, this time quite uncertain of myself.

Then to my surprise he said, ‘I know you will do well. I recall the day on the track field last summer. You had red all over your foot (I had wounded myself and bloodly). You still picked yourself and ran that race and completed it. I know you will finish this one too”. No surprise he words spurred me. I put my mind to the task, not so much for myself but for the faith he had put in me.

I finished off St James’ as a school prefect, stood second in my class in the board exams, and had a string of certificates in field and track events, soccer, as also debating, elocution and plays.


I curiously wonder what made John Mason pick me that day in class? I know it could have been anyone: each of us is a seed of potential. Today, I would like to thank you Sir. Your encouragement helped me, as I am sure that would be true for so many others.

1 comment:

  1. [From John Mason on email]
    Dear Steve, Thanks for remembering your old school master and touching on his habit of blowing on an ember to start a fire. Warm regards, John Mason

    ReplyDelete

Join me with your reflections, observations and perspectives. Please do share. Thanks, Steve