Saturday 18 February 2017

Ranjit, Good Bye my Friend!



“Correa, Sahab, Hukum Kijya”, Ranjit Mehna, Security Head for a MNC Unit based at Chhindwara would lean forward, a smile on his lips, and in a lowered conspiratorial voice on one so many occasions. Leaning forward, I would provide instructions, time and time again.

Back then, there were so many ‘missions’ to accomplish for the ex army security head.

One involved driving to a village to give a very sensitive letter to one ‘surname’ individual (with obvious expected impact) for him to discover that the entire village had people with the same common surname. He did share he had his panic moments, but eventually completed the task to return to base.

Then there was that moment, where a huge crowd waited outside the factory gate to accost me (it was wage negotiation time) and I was to return back to the housing colony 200 metres away. Ranjit held me back with some briefing or the other, till I realized that it was his intention to have me delay my leaving the factory. “I have to go, Ranjit, not because I am not scared, but because I have to return to work tomorrow. I cannot, not face what is outside”.

Then one case of an illegal squatter on company land, and the maneuvers required to evict him from the property.

These are some memories I share. They are countless many more…..

Most Sundays, our families would meet, often drive together to a dam or a dak bunglow. My son was just a few years old, and Ranjit’s spouse and 4 daughters completely took charge of him. He loved the attention and they took turns to regale him with laughter.  Our two families were very close and we have so many happy memories of that time. As I write this many more come to my mind: treasured moments of good company. 

I remember one Diwali night as we drove off and stopped somewhere, I commented that we did not have any fireworks to ignite. He reached in the back of his maruti van and took out his rifle. Aiming at the sky, he shot off two rounds, boom, boom. Then there was silence as we all watched stunned. Today, when I listen to firecrackers during Diwali, I smile, remembering that day.

My wife and I have returned to Chhindwara thrice since: death of a loved friend, marriages. A year ago when I went back, Ranjit was ailing, his health rapidly deteriorating. He knew he was drawing towards the inevitable, yet his spirit and morale was very high.

Two days ago, I heard he had passed away. My wife has since flown down to be with the family.

Good bye my friend, Ranjit. We have had some great times together. I will cherish that always. Our stories together, will always live! Your candle blown out in the wind, but not within. The light you held, will continue to glow, in the hearts you’ve touched. Your mortal turns to dust, your legend will always endure.

The song of John Lennon reminds me sadly, ‘another one bites the dust, another one gone. Another one bites the dust’.

Deep inside I know that when times are down, I would have you by my side, “Correa Saab, Hukum Kijya”.


  

2 comments:

  1. Something reminded me of Ranjit today - a sixth sense - and I googled and saw your post. Hadn't heard earlier. Feeling sad. He was one of the more energetic, dedicated and fun people I worked with in Chhindwara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Sameer it's quite sad. We enjoyed some good times together and continued to stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete

Join me with your reflections, observations and perspectives. Please do share. Thanks, Steve