Friday 28 July 2017

Steps to Speedy Decision Making

A case Study

My spouse and I wish to go on a short vacation in October. The choice is either London or Goa. What are the 20 questions I would ask?

·      Budget
·      How many days
·      Climate I prefer
·      Choice of what spouse and I want to do on vacation

Three Steps to Clear Decision making

1.     Who is the decision Maker? – Spouse and I together
a.     All others have a voice. There are just two votes

2.     Agree Clear Criteria that govern the decision making (Explain to a 12 year old)
a.     Often this is not clear from the start itself
b.     Keep it simple

3.     Search for information and classify and rate as per criteria.
a.     Too often we look for maximum information first for its own sake. (What if it cost a Million?)



Being Clear who the  is ‘D’ is the most critical step. In a meeting this is not clearly understood even by the D himself.

(For this insight I owe this to my friend Pankaj Gupta). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me with your reflections, observations and perspectives. Please do share. Thanks, Steve