Thursday 21 April 2016

Fr. Mcgrath, SJ, XLRI, Jamshedpur - a tribute

Fr. Mcgrath ( Fr. Maggie as we so affectionally called him) is indeed a 'walking OB’ in every way. I’m afraid those were the days of non digital photographs and while I do not have any pictures to share, his memory is deeply embedded in the warm recess of my mind and heart.



I met him for the first time as we lumbered out of the bus way back in April 1984. There he was at the gate ( looking almost like Ronald Reagan) welcoming each of us, and by name! Then it struck me how much time he must have spent going through all the admission photos to memorise our names, to make this welcome so unique, so very personalised. That was my first lesson in connecting, and one demonstrated in action. 

XLRi was every place I had hoped for an more: a school for excellence in Leadership. Maggie walked the talk on this score each time. I remember his one tip: be considerate to others, as he pointed out, that a dropped cigarette butt outside the bin meant someone in housekeeping needed to pick each one up. 

Of the 45+ courses I went through over the next two years, the one that stood out for me, like the Mount Everest, was the Basic Managerial Skills Course that he facilitated. Every session was an act unto itself from the time we got to introducing ourselves, learning each others names: it was action learning, fun and challenge all rolled in one. The first semester was filled with numerous modules: from team building, to committees, to social work, extempore and projects, aided by suggestions by our seniors, as we became conscious of new behaviours we needed to learn to become managers. Then almost all of us got straight A’s: he knew we were unique, non comparable, outside relative rating. His grading symbolised that: it gave me deep insight that in the ultimate analysis we are all competing with ourselves, no one else. 

I saw other sides of Maggie. He was our floor warden, regularly inspecting for discipline: drinking on campus or someone smoking the peace pipe. His threat was real at all times: it forced discretion. he knew at times rules were broken, like most young men would want to do, yet I suspect he held back, allowing for the occasional minor transgressions, wise in the knowledge that boys will be boys. 

Then I experienced Maggie as my Sunday preacher (on the rare occasions i attended the chapel). He was my priest, righteous, wise and showed me the way to live my life with whatever small dose of spiritual spark that may have ignited then. 

Then I saw him as my mate: he taught us softball, and wow was that a game I still delight in! In this sport all that was American came through, and I was humbled that he choose to spend his time with us, each day igniting one candle to the mission ahead. 

These are but a few memories, yet there are so many, each rich and profound.


Just a few years back, on our 25th Silver Jubilee I returned back to campus. It brought tears to see Maggie once again. Cheerful, despite his failing health, he smiled and warmly greeted each one of us. Everyone tried to ask him, if he could remember them. He smiled warmly at each questioner and gently lied, as he said YES. Tears came to my eyes as I saw him repeatedly do this: how could it possible he would remember, changed faces, 25 years later, multiple of names, yet he said he did, what I knew he would. He said YES, for he knew it would make us feel Special, Unique, recognised. And as each one felt gratified, at being remembered, he must have forgiven himself for those white lies.



Maggie is everything you want in a leader, everything you want to see in your self. As Jack Nicholson, once famously dialogued ( as good as it gets) to his lady love, ‘You make me want to be a better man!”.  So too, does Maggie Inspire each and everyone of us to ‘keep walking’ and stay tall. He will continue to endure for all times, for he lives not just in our hearts, but in our lives.


Maggie, thank you for our paths crossing. I must have done something good to deserve this privilege. Your life has been a lesson. Your candle will glow despite the wind, your legend always will.



2 comments:

  1. Amazing! It was unfortunate that he wans't around when we joined XL but his legend was all over XL. Shows he must have been a truly amazing human being apart from everything else that he was. Who hasn't read his book, "Basic Managerial Skills for All"? Once can get a good glimpse of the man just by reading that book. One thing that stands out for me about him over everything else is the simplicity.

    XL was privileged to have someone like him be a part of the institution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keerthi, He is still around though not active in the class room or campus life. If you wish to meet him ssek for an audience with him at the Jesuit Home behind Tata Audi. I was there in December 2015 when he personally inaugurated the new hostel building which has been named Fr. McGrath Residence.

    ReplyDelete

Join me with your reflections, observations and perspectives. Please do share. Thanks, Steve